From Researching Virtual Initiatives in Education
The Coimbra Group is an association of long-established European multidisciplinary universities of high international standard.
Its web site is at http://www.coimbra-group.eu
The mission of Coimbra
The Coimbra Group is committed to creating special academic and cultural ties in order to promote, for the benefit of its members, internationalisation, academic collaboration, excellence in learning and research, and service to society. It is also the purpose of the Group to influence European educational policy and to develop best practice through mutual exchange of experience.
Activities of Coimbra
Among the activities of the Coimbra Group are:
- Organisation of Task Forces, each with its own rules, objectives, mission statement: Culture, Arts and Humanities Task Force; Doctoral Studies and Research Task Force; eLearning Task Force; Education, Training and Mobility (ETM) Task Force; African, Caribbean and Pacific countries (ACP) Task Force; Eastern Neighbouring Countries (ENC) Task Force; Latin America Task Force; Employability and Career Guidance (ECG) Task Force.
- Offering of three different Scholarship programmes over the past years: Eastern Neighbouring Countries Coimbra Group Hospitality Scheme; Latin America Scholarships Programme for Young Professors and Researchers from Latin American Universities; Short Stay Scholarship Programme for African Researchers.
- Support of mobility within the network: The Coimbra Group Staff Visiting Scheme, designed to increase the level of cooperation between academic and administrative staff of the different member institutions; The Coimbra Group Student Exchange Network, facilitating and encouraging the mobility of students within the network.
- Taking part in EU funded projects
- Organisation of summer schools & seminars
History of Coimbra
The Coimbra Group was founded in 1985 and formally constituted by Charter in 1987.
The Coimbra Group Office
The Coimbra Group Office is located in Brussels, Belgium.
For a list of members see http://www.coimbra-group.eu/index.php?page=members