From Researching Virtual Initiatives in Education
(Redirected from Megatrends
MegaTrends was a project to seek to identify the "MegaTrends" in e-learning:
- what are the rules for achieving critical mass in e-learning
- what are the rules for moving from a small scale fragile e-learning provider to a large scale permanent and successful e-learning institution.
The project’s aim was to enhance public knowledge on sustainable and cost-effective large-scale e-learning by analyzing the trends and contributions to large-scale success and to identify laws and recommendations for success and failure in e-learning.
The project had the following specific objectives:
- To identify the MegaTrends of e-learning provision and promulgate them widely.
- To survey the MegaProviders of e-learning in Europe and publish the listing of institutions that meet the criteria established in the project.
- To analyze the mega providers of e-learning to identify examples of cost-effective, large scale elearning.
- To evaluate the mega providers of e-learning to identify examples of sustainable online development
- To study cost-effectiveness in selected public and private institutions that provide large scale e-learning.
- To study e-learning initiatives, which did not, reached targeted goals.
- To identify trends and characteristics of e-learning initiatives which were closed and did not reach targeted goals.
- To identify and formulate laws and recommendations on e-learning success and failure
- To valorize and disseminate the results widely both nationally and internationally
Result 1. The identification of the Mega Trends in e-learning provision.
Result 2. Listing of Mega Providers in e-learning.
Result 3. Toolbox with models and templates for analysis of cost-effectiveness and sustainability
Result 4. Analyses of cases of excellence on cost-effectiveness and sustainability. Evaluations of Mega Providers in e-learning
Result 5. The identification and survey of e-learning initiatives, which did not reach targeted goals.
Result 6. Trends and characteristics of e-learning initiatives, which did not reach targeted goals.
Result 7. Recommendations on major e-learning provision.
Result 8. Valorisation results.
This material is taken from the MegaTrends web site at http://nettskolen.nki.no/in_english/megatrends/, hosted at NKI - which links to a comprehensive set of resources.
The project Megatrends in e-Learning Provision has produced four main reports (downloadable in PDF) which can be found on this wiki page: Megatrends in e-Learning Provision.
The project set up these strict criteria for inclusion as a megaprovider. The institution had to either:
- Enroll more than 5000 enrollments in e-earning courses per year or
- Have more than 100 online courses on offer at any one time provided that
- Institutions whose e-learning provision was from a base in the United States of America or elsewhere outside Europe would not be included in the surveys
and provided also that
- The students were distance education students, that is students who did at least 50.1% of their course off-campus.
The case studies are marked with the category Category:Megatrends.
>> Main Page