From Researching Virtual Initiatives in Education
For entities in Monaco see Category:Monaco
Partners situated in Monaco
Monaco in a nutshell
Monaco, officially the Principality of Monaco is a small sovereign city-state located in South Western Europe] on the northern central coast of the Mediterranean Sea, having a land border on three sides only with France, and being about 16 km (9.9 mi) away from Italy. Its size is just under 2 km² with an estimated population of almost 33,000. Monaco is the world's most densely populated sovereign country, and the world's smallest French-speaking country. An average person takes only 56 minutes to walk across the width of the country. Monaco is the name of the country as well as the name of its capital city. It is often regarded as a tax haven, and many of its inhabitants are wealthy and from foreign countries, making up a majority of the population, at around 84%.
Monaco is a constitutional monarchy and principality, with Prince Albert II as head of state. The House of Grimaldi has ruled Monaco since 1297, and the state's sovereignty was officially recognized by the Franco-Monegasque Treaty of 1861.
Despite Monaco being independent, Monaco's defense is the responsibility of France.
Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco
Monaco education policy
Schools in Monaco
All children living in Monaco must be in full time education from the ages of 6-16 years. The school year in Monaco runs four terms annually and the school year starts in early September.
Monaco has ten state operated schools (French speaking) of which seven are nursery and primary schools, one secondary school, one lycee (college) and a specialised hotel and vocational training college.
In order to be accepted into a nursery school in Monaco (Ecole Maternelle) the child must be three years old.
In order to be accepted into an elementary school in Monaco the child must be 6 years old.
For secondary schools in Monaco the age group is 11-15 years.
For the Lycee the age range is 15-18 years. It is at this point that the scholar specialises in his/her chosen area. The final exams are the Baccalaureat (OIB) which is universally recognized as a qualification for university entrance. The Monaco school syllabus is similar to that of France but with a slightly more international focus.
The International School of Monaco (ISM) offers a bilingual education in English and French from ages 3-18 years. This Monaco school is very popular with the international community who prefer their children to have a bilingual and internationally focused education. The ISN offers the International Baccalaureat program with scores well above the average for IB schools and prepares the students for International University Entrance. ISM students are accepted into top universities worldwide. The school has recently expanded its premises (centrally located on the Port of Monaco) with a new Performing arts centre for music, art, drama and gymnastics. There are sports facilities available within Monaco. The annual fees for the ISM range from €5430 at kindergarten level to €19,440 for the most senior students. Fees are paid in two installments, 40% in March and the remaining 60% in August of each school year.
Universities in Monaco
The International University of Monaco (IUM) is an institution for higher education in the Principality of Monaco. The university has satellite locations in Shanghai and Taiwan where graduate courses in business are taught. The University has also a series of short, executive courses at its campus in Carimate, Como, Italy.
It is a private university. The University was initiated by Prince Albert II of Monaco.
IUM is now a part of the Institut des hautes études économiques et commerciales (INSEEC) group of schools, which is owned by Career Education Corporation a US-listed, education company
Polytechnics in Monaco
Higher education reform
The Bologna Process
Administration and finance
ENIC Monaco is part of the Directorate of Education Youth and Sports.
Towards the information society
Information society strategy
ICT in education initiatives
Interesting Virtual Campus Initiatives