From Researching Virtual Initiatives in Education
SEFI, the European Society for Engineering Education, is the largest network of higher engineering institutions and of individuals involved in engineering education in Europe.
Its web site is http://www.sefi.be/
The mission of SEFI
The aim of SEFI is to contribute to the development and improvement of engineering education in Europe as well as to the improvement of the position of both engineering education in society in general and of the engineering professionals in particular.
SEFI’s objectives are
- To provide appropriate services and promote information about engineering education
- To improve communication and exchange between teachers, researchers and students in the different European countries
- To develop cooperation between educational engineering institutions and establishments of higher technical education
- To promote cooperation between industry and those engaged in engineering education
- To act as a link between its members and other societies or organisations
- To contribute to the recruitment of good students in engineering education
- To promote the development of the European dimension in higher engineering education
Activities of SEFI
- Working Groups: Considered as the real backbone of SEFI, the working groups bring together Society’s members to discuss and analyse specific topics of engineering education. The working groups activities reflect the mission and goals of SEFI. They are open to all the members of the Society. There are working groups on Engineering Education Research, Curriculum Development, Continuing Engineering Education, Mathematics, Information and Communication Technologies, Women in Engineering, Physics and Engineering Education, Ethics in Engineering Education.
- Task forces and Committees: Task forces on Accreditation, the Bologna Declaration, the cooperation with IGIP; European Journal of Engineering Education Editorial Committee, Leonardo da Vinci Medal Committee, Web Committee
- Projects: Since its creation, SEFI has initiated or participated in several projects in the framework of major international cooperation programmes, such as SOCRATES/ERASMUS, TEMPUS, LEONARDO etc. Through this channel, SEFI enables numerous contacts to be made, which can lead to practical cooperation schemes or long-term exchanges between individuals, teaching institutions and industrial companies from different European countries or world-wide.
- Publications: a.o.European Journal of Engineering Education, Proceedings of Annual Conferences, News@SEFI (the electronic monthly information bulletin),...
- Events: Annual conferences, working group seminars and workshops, special events.
History of SEFI
SEFI was founded in 1973 as a non-profit making organisation under Belgian Law.
The SEFI Office
The SEFI headquarters are located in Brussels, Belgium.
SEFI membership is open to institutions of engineering education, individuals, industry, associations and related organisations.
SEFI recognizes 4 different types of membership:
- Individual membership (currently 182 members) is open to all individuals involved in or interested by the engineering education and the improvement of the engineering profession.
- Institutional membership is open to educational institutions and other teaching establishments involved in the education and training of the engineers. For a list of Institutional members see: http://www.sefi.be/index.php?page_id=44
- Industrial membership is open to enterprises, administrations and organisations employing engineers or interested in the education and training of the engineers. For a list of Industrial members see: http://www.sefi.be/index.php?page_id=45
- Associate membership is open to professional organizations and other institutions involved in activities concerning engineering education or the improvement of engineers, as well as institutions not fitting into the class of institutional membership. For a list of Associate members see: http://www.sefi.be/index.php?page_id=46